Silver Lake has changed dramatically in the past 100 years. The photographs on these
pages reflect that change. Also, the housing density is very apparent in the aerial
photograph section. Please choose a category to view photos from that topic or
at the construction of the reservoir in the 1930s.
Snow in Silver Lake,
Lake Reservoir was drained in 1951 to replace a 36-inch bypass line with a 60 inch line
and pave the sides to minimize erosion and minimize plant growth. This is a view of the
new water main when reservoir was drained in 1951.
looking east showing Ivanhoe Reservoir with cover. Silver Lake Reservoir is to the
left. The cover consisted of a wood frame with black roofing material.
looking west from a boat in Silver Lake Reservoir. Note the Lautner-designed house
Silvertop on the crest of the hill, 1999.
Red Car Line
The term "red car" or "big red car" was a nickname for the Pacific
Electric Railway Company's passenger service.
(All Photos can be
enlarged on clicking)
Line near Riverside and Fletcher. The cars were delivered new in December 1940
and the car pictured can be dated to between early 1941 and mid 1952 when a noticeably different paint scheme was applied.
courtesy Jim Bonar)
Outbound car to Glendale-Burbank; probably the local car to Edendale. No date. (photo courtesy Jim
DWP building at Riverside and Fletcher. The Red Car Line station is
to the right. When Fletcher Drive was opened through to Riverside Drive in 1928, the
Pacific Electric's trestle had to be modified into a bridge at that time. In 1955 when the line had been abandoned, the steel center section added in 1928 was
taken to West Los Angeles and used to cross Beverly Glen Boulevard in the right of way between little and big Santa Monica
Boulevards. Circa 1930s (photo courtesy
The steps probably lead to the front porch of a private home overlooking Glendale Boulevard.
A rail line can be seen by the side of the road below. The Glendale-
Burbank line ran through Edendale. (see The
Southern California Traction Review) Silver Lake's primary streetcar service was on Sunset Boulevard. The power substation
built by predecessor Los Angeles Pacific Railway still stands today at Sunset & Occidental. Circa 1930s. (photo courtesy DWP)
information on the Red Car Lines is from John Heller, VP of The Electric
Railway Historical Association of Southern California. (www.erha.org/)
If you have any historic photographs of Silver Lake, please contact Spencer L. SooHoo